Instructor: Dr. Hilda Freimuth

Date: May 26, 2021

Course: Grammar

Lesson: Adjective Clauses

This was my second observation of an English class at TRU. It was another great introduction to the program and left me with many ideas and inspirations for future lessons. Hilda began the lesson with a joke from “Off the Mark” and immediately welcomed all of the students and asked them to complete their homework assignments in the shared notes. After receiving confirmation from students via a poll that they felt comfortable with the previous material she continued on with her lesson for the day which would be focused on reinforcing knowledge of adjective clauses as she felt that last weeks lesson on the same topic was slower and not as smooth as she expected for the students. Hilda, therefore, adapted her lesson for this class and gave the students more material and activities on adjective clauses to cement their capabilities. Hilda included many fun and original activities that I and the students enjoyed. One of which was a word search except she would provide clues for the word she wished they would circle with an adjective clause describing that person or thing (wears crazy clothes and is a singer – Lady Gaga).

I learned a lot from the activities Hilda presented, the pace she lectured at, and her enthusiasm with the students. Also, when correcting students she would rarely cut them off or shoot down their ideas, instead she provided subtle corrective feedback which helped with classroom flow. After the lesson it was evident that the students were much more comfortable with the subject of this class and the last. The two classes of Hilda’s that I watched showed me most importantly not to be set on your lesson plans and things will not always go as smoothly as expected. Because of this, Hilda adapted and rearranged material in order to be sure that she could move on to the next topic without students feeling overwhelmed with the material.